

---

LONDON – ATLAS II Thematic Group 5: At-Large Community Engagement in ICANN - Session 3  
Sunday, June 22, 2014 – 11:00 to 13:00  
ICANN – London, England

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: It's June 22<sup>nd</sup>, 11:00 a.m. Hilton 5 Room. ATLAS II Thematic Group Five – Session 3.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: We'll start in three minutes.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible] to really look at this.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yeah. [inaudible] looking at this issue.

We can start. Alan, you can act as reporter just to take down notes and stuff like that until Fouad and Konstantin come in.

All right. Good morning. We'll be starting the session number three for the At-Large Engagement in ICANN, Thematic Group 5.

In this session, what we're going to do is look at the question of At-Large volunteer burnout. This I think is a critical issue, given that what's happening is I would say not enough volunteers actively engaged in policy development and the existing At-Large volunteers are having to juggle multiple things at the same time.

Well, Olivier, you want to take the floor?

---

*Note: The following is the output resulting from transcribing an audio file into a word/text document. Although the transcription is largely accurate, in some cases may be incomplete or inaccurate due to inaudible passages and grammatical corrections. It is posted as an aid to the original audio file, but should not be treated as an authoritative record.*

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes. Thank you very much, Dev. Volunteer burnout is a topic which has regularly come in the discussions of SO and AC chairs when we meet with Fadi Chehadé and his team.

As you all know, ICANN has become busier and busier and busier at every ICANN meeting and even between meetings because of the range of topic that have arisen in the past years. This load, of course, is both felt in staff, but of course there's a measure of control there where more staff can be hired.

Whilst in the volunteer sphere, it's difficult to hire volunteers because the salary is a little bit low. So you have to find other incentive. And if you tell a volunteer, "Well, that's fine. You'll just spend all of your life on this," they're not likely to join in that quickly.

The SO and AC chairs have related the fact that we seem to have sometimes have 10 or 15 public comment processes open at the same time just before an ICANN meeting. It becomes just very much of a load on the community. So there is definitely a problem that is relayed I think particularly in the GNSO due to the GNSO developing policy, so having a lot of work – Mikey O'Connor, who was a long-time GNSO contributor in many of the GNSO working groups came out with a study a few months ago where he mentioned that the ideal ICANN process is a pyramid where you have a lot of community members that make the policy. They put together the drafts of the policy and all of the different documents that need to be put together, and then it should go to the next level, which is the GNSO Council, so a smaller number of people, and then it goes to a smaller number of people on the top, and the

---

people on the top just need to tick the boxes and say, “Okay, that’s good, that’s good, that’s good.”

In reality, it’s the inverted pyramid problem, where you have less people actually drafting the policy and more people approving it, so you end up in the GNSO specifically with the same volunteers working on three, four, or five working groups and basically really feeling the load on this, spending hours on conference calls and so on. Then the council itself is just being a larger number of people but very few volunteers to work at the base level of building the policy.

Short of just increasing the number of volunteers to come into the building of the policy, no one really knows what the correct answer is; perhaps a better organization of the workload, smoothing the workload, perhaps a better forecast of the workload so as to say, “Well, we have ten issues to deal with in the next two years. Let’s not all start all ten issues now. Let’s put them in a calendar or something to stagger them.”

But then that means prioritization of issues, and as we all know, for one person, priority is number one for one topic, and for another person, that priority is very low for the person and they think another topic is the first priority.

It’s a funny discussion. We started this discussion I think on the first meeting we had with the SO and AC chairs and the CEO. That was in Cartagena in Colombia. That was in 2012, I think, or ’11 maybe. 2010? Oh, that’s how far back. And each time after half an hour of discussions having reached no consensus or no answer on this, we said, “Okay, well that’s something we’ll discuss next time,” hoping that we’d have answers by the next time. It’s been carrying on for a while.

---

At the At-Large level, we've had an enormous amount of work of course with the preparation of the At-Large Summit, so that's brought a lot more work also on the usual suspects. That said, there's been an influx of new participants and new volunteers to help with the organization of At-Large, and hopefully we can then have those participants help with the other matters that we're going to follow up with after this summit.

However, I recognize that there are two types of volunteers who take apart in At-Large. One type of volunteer is more interested in the capacity-building aspect of At-Large and organizational aspect, getting the word out there, getting more people involved. The other type of volunteer is more interested in policy, with less [inaudible] in capacity-building. There are only a handful of people who deal with both policy and the capacity-building aspect of things.

I think that on capacity-building, we are reaching certain level – a certain satisfactory level – because enough people are able to go out there and spread the message and try to find new people to come in. But on the policy side, there needs to be exactly what the other side is going. In other words, we have to capacity-building on the policy side so as to teach people and bring people up to speed with the topics that are being discussed, since as we related earlier, a lot of the ICANN lingo and the topics are sometimes not easy topics to deal with. There's a long history with them.

So is there a way we can do that better? We talked about the topic experts – subject matter experts – earlier. That could have been one thing to alleviate this overload. But this session really here is to try to first relate and see if there is a general feeling around the room about

---

this burnout – potential burnout – and if we have any solutions or any recommendations that we could make – I think ICANN is going to deal with this.

There is actually a mention in the GNSO today where the meeting with Fadi and the meeting with the board – they have a meeting with the CEO and then they have a meeting with the board as well. They’re going to be touching on the issue because it’s become quite critical over there, especially with the addition of new topics, like the NETMundial, the wider Internet governance issues, and now of course the two start topics – ICANN accountability and transparency, and the transition of stewardship of the IANA contract, another set of new working groups, new coordination groups, and whatever you’d call it that’s going to not only involve volunteers on conference calls, but also have them flown across the world to a location to meet face-to-face.

I think you made also the mention that with three ICANN meetings in a year, each one lasting about seven days or so and sometimes a little more because of the traveling, that means you effectively have to take a month off as a volunteer every year, and in some countries, that month is that holiday that you’re given by your employer. So you’re basically giving up holidays and being with your family at the time.

Just as a final say, the very person who pointed the volunteer overload thing, Mikey O’Connor, has actually taken a step back and resigned from all the working groups since the last meeting that he was involved in and basically said, “Look, I’m through for the time being. So good luck, everyone, but I’m going to concentrate on the better aspects of life,” which includes enjoying nature and things that you want to relax with.

---

To me, that really smells of burnout. So it's recognized. What can we do about it?

Oh you thought it was an easy session?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: No. I see Thomas has his hand raised. But I think I can empathize with it because personally I'm trying to juggle multiple things here: ALAC, LACRALO, activities, and of course the buildup towards ATLAS, and I guess my changing personal situation as well.

So all of that I'm trying to juggle, and I'm trying to think – again I'm the one who's raising it because it's an immense challenge to find persons who are able to take that one month off from their day job. If they're self-employed, maybe they can juggle it. But if they're working in a government job or they're working for a private company, they have to be very understanding persons that, "Okay, well we'll give you the time off to do this." So that's my concern about it. How do you find persons who are able to make that sacrifice, especially in small islands and so forth where – I'm just lucky to be able to do that, but not everybody is as lucky as I am.

Sorry. The floor is open to questions. Thomas?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: And answers. And answers as well.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes.

---

THOMAS LOWENHAUPT: It might be an answer. It was suggested earlier by Fouad that crowdsourcing is the way to go, and there has been a lot of progress in the past few years on that. I know one source of the work is being done at New York University. They have Beth Noveck's group – I don't know, is it gov something or another? – and they're focusing on these things from a government perspective – digital governance-type thing – but it's governance and it's really no different than – I think that's a way to gather more at the bottom, to niggly some type of commenting. And if we could look into that, along with the policy management system, tie that in somehow, I think that would be a way to alleviate the work. End of comment. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thanks, Thomas. Murray? I saw your hand kind of going towards it.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: I'm sort of thinking about what to say, but I wanted to ask or make a comment. In the organization we did for ATLAS II, I found weekly meeting were more effective than our monthly NARALO meetings that we have, only because you had a tighter timeframe to try to accomplish something.

So I don't know if that's part of the solution: to get it into your regular routine, so to speak. Weekly meetings, from my personal perspective, were a little bit better. I know that sounds like more work, but maybe you could concentrate on specific topics on weekly basis as opposed to

---

a huge amount of topics on a monthly basis, which I know we had issues in NARALO. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I think with the ATLAS II I think it's slightly different because I guess there's an end goal in mind. All right, you could see it, whereas a policy on, say, WHOIS is not as – there's a finish line. You finish it and that's it. So I think that's the challenge. Because it does sound counterintuitive to say weekly meetings. Instinctively I just said, "Well that means more calls. More work." But all right. Good point to bring up.

Any comments? Michael?

MICHAEL FORDE: Michael Forde, LACRALO. I think we touched on this one in a previous discussion, but part of the solution to this I think is the business we spoke about before of bringing people up to speed. It is daunting as volunteer to be faced with all of these acronyms and thousands of e-mails and so on, and even if you set aside a day to read them you still aren't there. So you would encourage more volunteers to come on board if there was a process to bring them up to speed and hold their hands a bit better than there is now.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yeah. Hmm...



---

MICHAEL FORDE: And that process could be formalized possibly. I don't know. If there could be some [inaudible] way of doing it might make it easier.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I guess to try to come up with an analogy, it's like, okay, there's a large swimming pool or a large ocean and you want somebody like the lifeguard to say, "Okay, just take a few steps in. Get your feet wet." Then you gradually go into more deeper waters until you enjoy the water. Okay. Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Dev. Just a question: how many of you managed to attend at least one of the webinars in anticipation – the ATLAS II webinars? Anyone?

Okay, so did you find them helpful? Is it maybe something that At-Large might wish to pursue, as in not ATLAS II webinars, but weekly topic-based webinars as an ongoing basis?

It is a question, yeah.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible]

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Sorry, I can't hear you.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Is this in addition to the working group cause and everything? Burnout

---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Sorry, Anthony, you wanted to say something.

ANTHONY NIIGANII: I was asking I didn't quite hear the question.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Oh sorry. The question was, we've had a number of ATLAS II capacity-building webinars dealing with specific topics, topics of Internet policy development and At-Large and – a whole set of webinars there. Would it be worth continuing those webinars after our summit here as an ongoing concern? There'd be a weekly topic chosen by the community, of course, that would then have an expert coming in, then we'd have the webinar and discussion after that.

ANTHONY NIIGANII: I would say yes.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: I would think that's very useful. I found the webinars useful, and I think again on a somewhat regular basis where you could tune in as required would be very good. Plus, everything's recorded, so if you miss half of it for some reason – and I've done this in the past – I'll go back and catch the last bit later.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Olivier, go ahead.

---

**OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND:** Just responding to Murray actually, and I forgot to ask that question, actually. How many of you have missed a webinar but have managed to go and listen to the recording afterwards? Oh, quite a few people. Ah, okay. Well, that's good. That's very impressive. I was under the impression that when you are on a webinar as it happens, it's more exciting than when you are just listening to the recording later on and feel a little out of touch, but I'm glad to see several people actually went back and listened to a webinar they might have missed. That's cool.

**DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:** Konstantin?

**KONSTANTIN KALAITZIDIS:** Konstantin, NARALO. Going back to what Michael had mentioned in terms of – I'm relatively new to ICANN and I have attended many webinars, and I think in terms of volunteering, it is very easy. I guess there are a lot of new people you mentioned earlier. It's very easy to get lost in these webinars, and so you walk away without having a good sense and going back to webinars, I guess first of all they're very long, and I think a lot of the subject matter experts make the assumption – the discussions get esoteric many times, and I attended quite a few of them, especially with the acronyms and especially with people knowing each other.

So you have very few people speaking, you have all these acronyms, all these names thrown out, and then there is kind of go in a direction where a few people understand where they're going, but I think you

---

would be attracting more volunteers, as Michael said, by taking care of perhaps when you do bring people in the webinars to make sure that make this – in the work I did as an engineer with Lockheed and with Cisco Systems as well, we took these manuals that were designed by engineers – and they were very complicated – and we brought them down to a third grade level, period. It’s like elementary school. Because it was the only to have people understand and read everything.

You have to simplify things in the ICANN, and I think then people will have a better sense of understanding. When they walk away they will feel that half hour or one hour was actually productive and useful.

As Fouad also mentioned, if you have more webinars, I totally support them, but it does add to the burnout list of things. So simplify things. That’s the recommendation. I’ll take that note down. Thank you.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: And write down it was a very good thought. Exceptional.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. Amir?

AMIR QAYYUM: This is Amir from APRALO. I found these recordings very useful for two reasons. First because I wanted to – I took the IPv6 transition webinar, but because of the time conflict with another meeting, I had to go to the recording. Secondly, in order to keep this awareness [campaign] in my own ALS, it was very easy to just give the link of the recording about some policy issue or something in which I am not really an expert, but I

---

can just give a suggestion to my students or my colleagues or my friends, “Go to this recording. Just see it and you will get a lot of information.” So the recording is very important for me. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. Oh, Konstantin, you wanted to say something. Your mic is on. Okay. Oh, Michael, go ahead.

MICHAEL FORDE: Sorry. I’m not sure, and maybe for some, the workshop we have there maybe in Bangkok or in Taiwan or in Hong Kong, is there a place on the At-Large wiki where we could put some of the – because we have some workshops that’s relevant to the issues and discussion on this. It may not be officially endorsed by the At-Large Structure, but the topic and the relevant materials that are really useful for getting more volunteers to offset the complex issues involved in ICANN and in At-Large.

And it’s delivered in local languages. So for example, it’s in Thai, so you immediately get like 2000 people who could just click the link and try to read it. And if it’s in Mandarin Chinese, you have the potential of some hundreds to millions of people to read it. I’m not sure there’s a place where you could upload or just put a link to that issue being discussed.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. Well, I know that on the wiki, there is a collection of material related to outreach. I’m trying to think. There’s a page on the wiki for capacity-building materials, and I know also things for ICANN’s global stakeholder engagement, they also on their wiki, which is part of the

---

shared same space, there's a lot of material, and where it's also translate in multiple languages of like what is ICANN, what is IPv6, and so forth and things – those types of topics.

But I guess something triggered in my mind is that it's so – coming back to the idea of having webinars, I guess the thing is – the idea in my mind it's not such much webinars because webinars requires some time commitment of actually coming on at a scheduled date and time, which is a challenge. But if you had some material that is accessible, you can learn at your own pace. I know I believe ICANN Learn was one of those ideas to try to, well, you could then go to the site, create an account, and from the taped previous coursework – well, lessons. I shouldn't say coursework – lessons about what is ICANN and so forth. But I don't know what the state of that of its implementation.

Has anybody gone to ICANN Learn? Yes? Is that useful? Can you share? Want to share your experiences?

MWENDWA KIVUVA:

Mwendwa Kivuva, AFRALO. Yeah, I'm going to the new system. But you must have so much interest actually to learn because, for example, we go to class to learn, but the books are in the library. But we don't send children to the library directly because they need guidance. That is why actually the webinars are very important, because they're interactive. Yeah.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Okay. I got your point. I'm not saying webinars aren't useful. I'm just saying there has been probably a mix of it. I guess this comes back to

---

also what the webinars – I have to say one huge improvement is that transcripts of the sessions are coming out within a week of the meeting, and that's been a huge saver in terms of time because I don't have to listen to the entire one-hour recording again. I can just read the transcript and catch the points much more quickly. I think obviously the availability of transcripts makes our meetings and the work of At-Large, and I guess the work of ICANN and GNSO and so forth much more accessible.

So going back to what Michael was saying in terms of there still needs to be some sort of guidance. I'm just trying to think. How do you mitigate against that? Because in a sense, what happens is that – and let me just share what my experiences are – in theory, what's supposed to be happening is the ALS representatives are supposed to be disseminating the information throughout the ALS. That ALSO as a whole has the internal discussions, and then brings it back up to the RALO level and to the ALAC level.

But the reality is that because of the speed of the public comments that's required – 21 days – what I suspect is truly happening is that the ALS representatives gets the information and is then trying to act on it on its own without really having the flexibility or the ability to really even share the information within the At-Large Structure. That leads to the problem of knowledge transfer.

So when that ALS representative wants to step aside because of changing circumstances or time commitments, there's nobody else ready to take his or her place. So there's little capacity-building within the ALS themselves, not just for the ALS representatives, so that when

---

that ALS representative steps aside, another one is able to take his place and keep on going.

Murray?

MURRAY MCKERCHER: I'm thinking out loud here in that we have ALSes again reporting up to the RALOs and in the process of communications, and we're organized geographically – LACRALO, NARALO; so parts of the world – but I think people want to engage on a specific idea irrespective of what part of the world they're in.

So maybe we should organize ourselves somewhat around topics as opposed to geography, which may be a little radical given our structure at the moment, but topics are what engages people. So no matter what part of the world, if you're concerned about the WHOIS database or issues related to some specific part of ICANN's mandate, then that group can get together as opposed to necessarily being geographically based. I don't know. I just throw that out. Does anyone have any comments?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes. I see Olivier has his hand raised. Go ahead.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yes, thanks very much, Dev. Murray, you'll see little smiling faces around the table because you were in transit, and welcome, by the way, having just arrived due to travel issues, but we've actually discussed this and the topic thing has actually come up. Certainly I think that is



---

probably one of the takeaways – I don't know if Fouad and Konstantin would let us know, but I think that that's one of the things which have been taken up here. If we start organizing ourselves around topics, it's certainly going to let our ALSes choose what topics – or even ALS representatives being able to direct some of their people in their ALSes regarding the topics rather than having to follow absolutely everything. So that's a great thing: organize ourselves around topics.

Just coming back with the regards to the repository for institutional memory that you mentioned, even for those RALO leaders, etc. That's great, but there's also a repository in ICANN actually for Beginner's Guides. How many of you have heard of the Beginner's Guides? A few. Okay, quite a few. I've put a link on the website. Is it possible to go over to that link, please?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: On the website?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Yeah, that one. Just to give you a quick feedback on this one, the Beginner's Guides are drafted by ICANN staff with volunteers helping them to draft, so it's not like we're drafting them completely and then passing them on. It's not a huge added workload. ICANN staff drafts it, passes it by us, we make the changes, and so on. Or the people that the topic was about will make the changes and so on, and then those will be published.

There's several of these that have been published so far, and we can scroll down. There's the Beginner's Guide to Participating in ICANN.

---

That I hope – and Konstantin, you’ll probably have to read through these, whether they’re meant at third graders or not; I don’t know. It might be more, it might be less; who knows? You do need to be able to read and right – oh, now we’ve gone back to something else. Oh, there we go. We got one. Somewhere in your packet. That’s why you were all nodding.

Okay, so the Beginner’s Guide to Participating in ICANN. Then there’s a Beginner’s Guide to Participating in At-Large, and I guess the next question you can probably see in a second; I’ll ask if these are useful or not. So that’s the other one.

They are in many different languages, as you can see, including ones that I can’t read. Then further down, Beginner’s Guide to Protocol IP Addresses, Beginner’s Guide to Domain Names, Beginner’s Guide to Policy Advice in the At-Large Advisory Committee.

You’ll notice that there are quite a few that are targeted at At-Large because of the fact that the Beginner’s Guides are drafted after a request from the community. So if you have an idea of a Beginner’s Guide that is missing, then please make recommendations or suggesting as to what is the next Beginner’s Guide that should be drafted? Because we have availability from ICANN to have another Beginner’s Guide drafted.

Is there another one after that?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: At-Large Structures.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Oh, At-Large Structures. Well, there you go. So you got At-Large Structure, Policy in At-Large – there’s various different angles. There might be more that are needed. Some of these might need to be updated of course, but that’s an ongoing concern. But if you have a suggestion for any other Beginner’s Guides for At-Large, that’s one thing. And of course, please publicize it with your ALSes, and please give us the feedback as to – you got Participating in ICANN. This one is At-Large Structures. They’re all a different color. They’re color coded. It’s great.

The only thing that I would say actually is whilst we were having the discussion and I was looking for Beginner’s Guides, I couldn’t find them, so I had to do a Google search to try to find them. I was like, “This is terrible.” Let’s get that information out there. Let’s make it easy for people to reach that information.

Last thing before I finish my intervention. I’m very well aware that the At-Large website is an absolute mess, and I’m being nice in using the word “mess.” But it’s one of my biggest frustrations. The history of the website was actually put together by our community about six, seven years ago. So ICANN did not build the website for us. It was our community that built it, and it’s outrageously one out-of-date – it’s got links to an old system called the Social Text system, which was decommissioned in 2010. It still has that. It has some wrong information sometimes, and when you click on New Issues, it goes, “The blah, blah, blah, blah, 2009.” Well, unless we’re in a time travel capsule, I think we’re in 2014 now. So we’re well aware there’s a major problem with

---

that. ICANN has been really going – there’s so many things going on. They haven’t been able to devote time for the IT department and the web design department to redesign our site.

In 2012 I think, we had one person in the Coms department that actually did a lot of work and went to interview many of the members in our community, but what we needed from an At-Large website, that hasn’t been acted upon because that person left and then somebody else came in.

But the matter is in hand. The last call I had with the web services and with Heidi I think thankfully was not transcribed because of a number of expletives used on my part to describe it, and it was quite imaged vocabulary. It’s in hand, but hopefully within the next six months we’re going to get something.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Murray, go ahead.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: Sorry. Just a real quick comment. I found that the new ATLAS II website had the Beginner’s Guides at the top, so it became instantly usable to me because I know it was there and there was actual visual and it was at the top of the page, so it was really helpful.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: And again, built by the community, which was great.

---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yeah. So perhaps I think some work by the community can help to come up and help develop the website for At-Large, which I agree. It does need some structural redoing completely.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Think explosives.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yeah. Destroy it and build it back up.

TIKAAKI HIGUCHI: I looked at the transcript of these Beginner's Guides. Is it translated by ICANN or community-derived report?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: It's translated by ICANN, by the language services.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: I could ask, did you click on one and find out that it's wrongly translated?

TIKAAKI HIGUCHI: No, no, no. Yeah, no. I just think that there are a few documents in Japanese, so if we can translate some of them, we need then ICANN to upload the translated materials to this site.

---

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you. You will have to forgive me. My fluency in Japanese is not very good, as in zero. I know the last one is Arabic. The above two, one should be Chinese. What is the other one? I don't know. There's Japanese there?

TIKAAKI HIGUCHI: Yes.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay, sorry. I'm just a novice. Thanks.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Oh, sorry. Konstantin, go ahead.

KONSTANTIN KALAITZIDIS: Sorry. Going back the Beginner manuals, yeah, I was so happy to see these in the packet. They are well written. They are not third grade. They're much more mature level, but I was able to understand them anyway. I was really happy to see that both of them, they all have – I guess it's a standard kind of thing – they have the acronyms in the back. So I thought, "Wouldn't it be great?"

For instance, right now I'm doing some work in digital divide technology solutions and so on, and that's something that I'm talking to Internet Society on ICANN about, and I thought it would be fantastic and also a way to attract people who have a common interest in space-based Internet, let's say. Write a Beginner's, just like this. Write a Beginner's

---

Guide and people can see it, understand it, go through it, and if they're interested, maybe they can sign up somewhere and support.

But anyway, just a compliment to the Beginner Guides.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Konstantin. Was there another hand raised on this side? I just want too sure. No? Okay.

All right, so improving the accessibility of capacity-building materials I think, yes, Beginner's Guides is one example. And I think yes, indeed, I think what can happen is, well, we better organize the At-Large wiki and old web At-Large website and make it that when there's a new person coming in, there's some sort of hand – not a hand-holding – but some sort of mentoring or some sort of pathway by which they can gradually get involved in the policy issues is what's important.

And as regarding how do we save volunteers from burnout, I guess the simple answer is that we need more persons involved in the policy development so that the workload becomes less on the existing few that are trying to juggle things all around.

Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks, Dev. We touched on the better organization of our communication earlier. I'm going to ask a really stupid question. How many of you are overburdened by the number of e-mails you receive in your mailbox from At-Large?

---

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: I've actually shifted to [inaudible] more than all of them.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Okay. So Susie is not bothered by that, so that's fine. You'll receive all the e-mails on our behalf.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Murray, go ahead.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: One of my comments – because I still consider myself somewhat new; I mentioned this yesterday – the whole list thing took me a while to get my head around. Lists historically were Internet started. There were a lot of lists. But in my interactions, daily lists weren't something that I particularly got into. There are so many new tools out there – [inaudible] which you mentioned. There are a lot of collaborative tools that make it a lot easier to manage your communications than e-mail. So perhaps we should look at some of those potential tools.

But I personally – I don't know if anyone else – but lists are just a bit too overwhelming. And copying the entire world doesn't help either. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSIGNH: Okay, thanks, Murray. Fouad?



---

FOUAD BAJWA:

In those days, when they were bringing in Confluence as a wiki for ICANN, one of the greatest features of Confluence which I thought at the time, and I shared this within the communication/coordination team I was member of initially in the days when I joined ICANN, which was reviewing and recommending stuff for the GNSO website, Confluence had the capability to incorporate mailing lists. So instead of you having to go through all those e-mails, it would give you a dashboard of e-mail.

It was one of the initial recommendations I had given in that time. Maybe you can pick up these e-mails and show them over there they just pop-up like a page, and then really you can just go there and see what all the mailing lists – what the discussions that are going on.

So there are certain features in Confluence even which have not been explored through that, and maybe the reason behind that is the usability issue, which was convenient, because I remember from 2010 to 2012, everyone was confused with where the documents were. It took a really pretty much long time for people to get acquainted and people are still troubled right now.

There are many of us members, many ALSes, many other people in At-Large community who still find it really hard to go through the Confluence system, and you can't blame them. If you look at the lists of the left side of any Confluence page – just go to the At-Large one. Okay, you can sort of bring up the latest ones, but when you take them under the parent pages, child pages, and grandchild pages, and we have a term for that in Pakistan – the [inaudible] – and it just goes on and on and really becomes really hectic for you to follow that up.

---

So I don't know. Should we have an archival system enabling Confluence that does provide that to sort archiving things which are viewed and which are closed and start reducing the amount of information that we're seeing in Confluence that we become more relevant instead of having everything up there on the front?

Okay, references are required. But then you have this archive thing. You click on that and you go to those documents. Dashboard user mailing lists, maybe that might be an answer. But again, one thing remains. I don't know. It's possible for us to access Confluence in Pakistan, variable speeds.

But I wonder how that is going on for the people in AFRALO, how that's happening for the people in LACRALO. We haven't really revisited that the tools that we are currently using. What is user feedback on that, community feedback on that? That really hasn't happened, and that's the review that should be happening on, let's say, half a year or every once a year. That these tools we're using, how much is the impact? How much are they used?

Just to share a small thing which is completely irrelevant but may add some value to this, World Bank recently conducted a survey of how many of its policy documentation since the advent of them using the Internet have been downloaded and actually used? To date, of all the policy work they've done, 25%. They're completely reevaluating what kinds of documents have been downloaded.

So have we visited? The mailing lists are good every month, I think, automatically. They showed a percentage communication between

---

people. How many mails were exchanged? If you look at those names, you'll be amazed that they're the usual faces of At-Large.

So these are some metrics that we have to develop for ourselves as well, that you know what things are being used, what is not being used, and then sort of come back to ICANN with that. These are the challenges that some of the users are facing in terms of technology mailing lists.

Mailing lists can be really far-fetched now because the amount of traffic – this IANA transition has destroyed my mailbox, frankly speaking. There's these [inaudible] discussions going crazy. Then there's these other communities going crazy, One Net went mad, the NETMundial stuff went mad. ISSOC put up another list. ICANN put up another list. There was a cross-community working group I was observing, and that was going crazy. Like literally, it just blasted our e-mail boxes. Really, there is some e-mail madness going on at the moment.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Go ahead, Olivier.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, and thanks for this, Fouad. The whole point is if you're going to put something which people have to listen to, you have to send it to all lists. All of them. Just in case someone misses it. Now, that's an age-old problem, even back in the day of Usenet in the late '80s.

---

There was Emily Post News Answers Your Question on Netiquette, which was a very sarcastic frequently asked questions document that was shared, and you can probably find a repository somewhere with it. It basically was already talking about the multiplication of news groups that were carried, and if you had an important message, it was basically saying send it only to the list that you should send it to. Don't start plastering it all over the place. But that's unfortunately the nature of human communication. We tend to carbon copy too many people.

FOUAD BAJWA: Maybe we need to find a way to direct relevance –

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Topic, basically.

FOUAD BAJWA: Yeah, topic and relevance. Relevance in this sense, what I have been seeing in my four years of experience with APRALO is that when a comment document is announced – a document for comment by ALAC – it is announced through the announcements if it concerns everyone, or it's directly sent to the RALO leadership.

Then if the RALO leadership deems it necessary, it sends it out to the regional discussion list. Really, the feedback on the regional discussion list has always been coming from only very few people. Actually, in some cases, three to five people. That's it. Just imagine how many RALOs are there.

---

So the problem is, that even despite using mailing lists, we're not reaching them. Social media only is not the solution. There's some other strategic [inaudible] we have to do. We have to be innovative over here. How do we do it? I don't know how we're going to do it. Is it going to be one stable system Confluence tweaks? Is mailing lists the answer?

I said this three years ago: mailing lists for working groups, like really large groups, are not the answers. It becomes crazy. You need dashboards. You need a bit of knowledge management. You're getting there. You're inter-document management, version control to some extent, document-based commenting to some extent. But to really organize it, that instead of sending these mass e-mails, maybe a monthly newsletter would have a larger impact than sending these individual e-mails.

For example, a policy newsletter by ALAC that these are open, this is what we're doing, maybe a bit and piece of this and that, and that newsletter would be more readable by people in the ALSes. That would be more interesting actually for everyone than actually topic by topic. It is becoming very, very hectic and information is chaotic. Thanks.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Fouad. Actually, just to give some feedback on this because this is one of the challenges for the Social Media Working Group because one of the problems we're facing–

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible]

---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yeah. Well, yes, we have a Social Media Working Group, yes.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible] adjustments.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes. The Technology Task Force came up with the Social Media Working Group because we realized it was not a technology issue. There was some technology tools, but ultimately the problem was that there was a lack of what I would call curated content for easy dissemination, because even if we were to disseminate information from ALAC Announce, the challenges were while sometimes it was a lot of jargon, right? Comment, call for comments on IRTP Part D link,. And it's kind of like, okay, well that's not very useful.

So one of the ideas for the Social Media Working Group is to curate the content, meaning that we transform the content from ALAC Announce to make it more better – what's the word? Let me think about it. My mind's gone – cracked my neck there. All right.

The idea behind curating the content is to make it more accessible to the wider audience. I know also if a person is new to ICANN and just looking at it from an observer perspective to say, "Okay, that looks kind of intriguing. Let's go there and take a look."

So that's what the Social Media Working Group has been formed, and we've been looking at curating board static content, which is the capacity-building-type content, information not really changing, like the

---

Beginner's Guides and so forth. Then there is the dynamic content, which is the information from the ALAC Announce policy statements, call for votes, call for comments – those type of things which are happening on a – well, that changes rapidly. So that's one thing.

Second thing, the Confluence wiki. I think, yes, this is also something that's being undertaken on Technology Task Force, but again, I guess putting out advertisement yet if wanted really help with that to help tests ideas and solutions, please join it because there's not enough persons involved.

So part of the things that's been happening is that we have now access to the latest version of Confluence on a separate install, so the idea would be that we can now test our plug ins and so forth, and new ways of organizing the content. So that's another approach that I encourage persons who only care about ICANN knowledge management, how At-Large content is organized, to get involved.

FOUAD BAJWA:

So it's about being more smarter with the information they give us. We're not really gathering too much information. Being much smarter with its use.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Murray?

MURRAY MCKERCHER:

Sorry. Just to circle back to burnout discussions, I think getting overwhelmed with information can lead to burnout. From my personal

---

perspective, trying to find a specific topic or item within the existing structures that we have – I have e-mails and there's Confluence and there's a number of places I can look to try to say, "Oh, I remember that discussion, but what was the key word and how to I find it?" So it takes me a half an hour to just find the piece of information I'm looking for. I'm already burned out before I get to work on it. So I think obviously that's something –

FOUAD BAJWA: Even during the meetings, the online calls. It sometimes becomes crazy.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: Yes. Just a comment. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Just to follow up on something, I've been involved also in the lead up for ATLAS II. We were publishing newsletters and we had published about four newsletters containing information about ATLAS II and so forth, and I'm thinking perhaps – as I say, like Fouad, what you're saying – a sort of At-Large newsletter, so to speak, where you list out, "This is what issues are happening," and so forth.

I tend to also agree with you. I guess what I would like to see envisioned in my mind for using Confluence is that it becomes like a dashboard of sorts, whereby when you go to a page, you know, "Okay, here's what's happening. These are the policy statements that are out for comment. This is where the vote is happening." Those types of things. "Next meeting's coming up in two days or three days" – that type of thing. So



---

you go to one spot and you get a sense of what's happening, whereas right now I think it's very difficult to find that unless you're really immersed in the mailing list, and so forth.

Go ahead.

FOUAD BAJWA:

Not during this, but the last board – the board something evaluation committee for Sebastien Bachollet – we stretched confluence to the level that we've built a scoring dashboard within that system, within confluence. And we had even bar charts and everything showing the wording processes and everything. So that was one stage where we were not actually looking at the candidate documents. We would just log into one page. Everything was just there, all colored and everything.

So this is one thing from confluence point of view. If you look at a person who manages confluence in an organization, they do have a dashboard. That was the whole idea in the beginning – a wiki which is even far beyond a wiki. It gives you information management capabilities and sort of gives you knowledge dashboards. That is one thing.

Just imagine if you go to the community confluence page for At-Large, there you can see some meters showing you what is green, what is red, what is happening, what are showstoppers, what are critical, and all these. It gives you a visual sense of what is happening in the community.

It's time I guess that we should visit Confluence with ICANN to the extent because ICANN is testing everything in other places. ICANN

---

[inaudible] is going on. They are these community groups which are looking at various tools and so forth.

So it's necessary to consolidate this and to work together because there are ideas elsewhere as well. People have ideas across ICANN. So there's a need to consolidate those ideas now. Thanks.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay, thanks, Fouad. Yannis?

YANNIS LI: This is Yannis from APRALO. I just want to share a comment that I heard from GNSO yesterday, which I think is pretty valid. I think it's not just about information overwhelming and we don't know where it's located documents, but the way that we can comment on some policy statements or the presentation right now that we have on the comment platform I think it may need some improvements. I think it will be more helpful and engaging that people be more comfortable to comment.

I'm not sure if everybody's following NETMundial, but the outcome documents – the way that they present the document and that we can actually comment on each paragraph and we don't really feel the obligations to read through all the comments from what the ICANN platform right now and to comment on the whole thing, but rather we can just specific points, a paragraph, that we want to comment, and we can easily look through what others think, or they can continue the comments in conversations that people can really trace back. I think in that way maybe is easier or for some of the ALAC members that are not

---

that old-timing ICANN to feel more comfortable and also expressing their will. That's just one of my comments. Thanks.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. But then thinking back about NETMundial and so on, ultimately it had to be like a team of persons that were then taking all of those comments and collating it to make sense, I guess, right? So I guess that's a challenge for like, say, At-Large. Then who are the persons who are going to be – I take your point though on improvements. Earlier, we were talking about improvements on the public comment process and so forth.

Let's see, Are we on time? Okay, so we have 45 minutes. Thomas?

THOMAS LOWENHAUPT: I don't have any idea what type of support the At-Large gets from ICANN. Obviously we have a meeting room here today and a staff member, but I'm wondering, in the interim between meetings, who takes care of the technology and what type of calls can you make on them to do improvements? Is there a budget for that? I know the budget comes up. Is that an issue we should look into?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Olivier, you go first.

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Dev. That's a big question. Okay, so the ICANN budget is not structured in a way where it says, "Here is X number of

---

millions for ALAC, X number of millions for GNSO, X number of millions for...” Structurally speaking, it’s not done this way because we actually come from different cost centers.

There are several cost centers in ICANN. There’s the travel budget on one side – so travel, constituency travel and so on, as you all know. There’s the board budgets, of course, but there are also budgets to do with policy and budgets to do with global stakeholder engagements. So some staff comes from policy sometimes, but then works a number of hours on the account of stakeholder engagement, etc. Susie knows how complex this system is.

So they’ve never been able to let us know exactly how much things cost, especially since, as far as we’re concerned, we make use of several cost centers, such as for example, interpretation and translation on one side, calls on the other side, our own staff on the other side. As far as our permanent staff is concerned, we have Heidi, who is the Director for At-Large. We have Ariel Liang, who is or chief policy person. We have Silvia Vivanco, who is the person who deals with the RALOs and primarily all of the RALO work.

Then in addition we have Gisella, who deals with all the call management and logistics, and that is sometimes shared with the GNSO calls as well. We have Terri Agnew, who’s a recent addition, who’s also dealing with the call management and some of the logistics. You know there are many, many calls out there. In fact, I think we calculated, not for At-Large Summit but the previous time, there were about 70 hours of calls in two months, which make it a lot of calls. That’s why we have so many people that deal with the call management. They just

---

otherwise would just be completely fried. We also have Nathalie Peregrine, who also comes between one and the other. So in effect, we have some permanent staff and some that have to share their time between us and others.

As far as translation and interpretation is concerned, of course there is a budget, but it's never been capped, so we can go up to a certain level, and okay, then one starts thinking, "Okay, do we really need absolutely every call to be interpreted?" The cap we've put is if there are three people or more who wish to have interpretation on the call, then we will proceed forward with supplying that interpretation. If there are less, then of course, it starts costing. As far as the number of call are concerned – number of hours we're allowed to calls for – there's never been a cap. Ditto also for the Adobe Connect Rooms. There's also a fee per Adobe Connect room. Would you believe it? There's not been a cap on that either, except the ones that we've never used or not used for a very long time, we quietly delete so as to be able to reuse because otherwise the prices just keep on going up. So there's resources. There's a number of things there.

A few things that are not known is that the RALOs have their own Adobe Connect room that can be used at any time if you want to have regional calls and things. So there is this ability for the bottom-up process to say, "Well, we're six people. We need to have this meeting about this topic that is an ICANN-related topic or a RALO-related topic. We need the room. We need an Adigo line. We need some dialouts. And of course that means also having a staff member to open up the room and open up the dialouts at the time. So there's no cap as such, except when it becomes extremely costly.

---

With regards to ICANN meetings, there is a cap in the number of travels of course. We've got the 15-member ALAC, plus two members of each one of the RALOs, which makes it 25 people in total as a standard thing, plus the liaison to the GNSO and the liaison to the ccNSO. If the liaison to the GNSO or the liaison to the ccNSO are also an ALAC member, we don't have a spare slot. Tough. We lose that slot in addition.

The liaison to .mobi does not have a slot, unfortunately, and any other informal liaisons which we might have with other groups in ICANN does not have a travel slot, either. This ATLAS summit budget was an extra budget that we asked for, and that was totally outside this. What we've managed to do was to reduce the cost of the ATLAS budget by actually having the regular travelers on another budget than on the ATLAS budget. So we had the total number of travelers less the 25 that are already funded during a meeting. Full transparency.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Olivier. A follow up point – go ahead, Thomas.

THOMAS LOWENHAUPT: Just in terms of the paid ICANN staff, who's their supervisor? Or they come from a bunch of different departments and there's no one person?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Good point. For anything to do with At-Large, it's Heidi who's supervising everyone, who's the centerpiece. Above Heidi, because the At-Large Advisory Committee is primarily dealing with policy – so we

---

are, just like the Generating Name Supporting Organization side and so on, we are under the call center of policy. David Olive is the VP for policy. He is above Heidi and above David I believe is the big man. So, the big boss.

That's under that department that we [fall], which is the reason why when we need to deal with capacity building for example, including the Community Regional Outreach Program, that actually does not come from the policy budget. That comes from the global stakeholder engagement budget, and this is why the ALAC meets with Sally Costerton so as to the get the funding from that side, as well.

In fact, any regional engagement or any engagement with the fellowship, for example, that's also I understand under global stakeholder engagement, and part of the ATLAS budget. I'm not quite sure what direction it came from. What I understand with the discussions that we had in the past is that this was going to be an exceptional item that was going to be encompassing all of ICANN. So it was an additional one-off.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Thomas, you have a quick follow-up?

THOMAS LOWENHAUPT: Just following up in terms of the suggestions that were made yesterday by YJ Park – I have a name [inaudible] – about the need for independence and trust in the organization, and it would seem that that would involve or partially involve some type of independent budget and that the organization also, as we think about this transition that's going

---

on from the IANA functions, that maybe there's a way that the At-Large could participate in that if we had an independent budget. Without an independent budget, I don't think anything's going to go forward. So maybe there's a role for us there. End of comment.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: All right, thanks, Thomas. Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Agreed.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. So while we're talking a little bit about the accessibility of the information and so on, I'm not sure if we've kind of answered the question, "How do you best engage the observers here?" Yes, I agree the idea about the accessibility of information is important and has to be better organized and so forth.

But how do you best engage the observers? I'm not sure if we've already got some good enough recommendations here, or at least clear identification on what were problems. So I just wanted us to bring it back to that point. How do you best engage the observers? Olivier?

OLIVIER CRÉPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks, Dev. Shall we ask the observers?



---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Well that is actually what was going to be my point. So let's see. Let's look around the room and see who hasn't made any comments.

Raul Bauer, any comments or ideas regarding how do you best engage the observers? Well, let him go first.

RAUL BAUER: Raul Bauer from LACRALO. Really, I'm very interested in hearing all these discussions here, but I have no comments to add. Thanks.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Konstantin?

KONSTANTIN KALAITZIDIS: I just wanted to clarify. When you mention observer, where in the definition, so how do you define observer?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. Well, I would define the observers in that, okay, those who are actively doing the actual work within At-Large working groups, within the ALAC. There's a case of like, okay – in a lot of the working groups there are persons who have signed up, but then they are either not involved, or if they are observers, they are not really participating in terms of taking on any particular task of the working group.

So that's what I think that will be my definition of observers. They are not engaged in any way or participating in any way, even though it's by title and in a sense, you could say to all of At-Large I suppose we're involved in policy work and so on, but that's not the case. It's an

---

imbalance of few doing a lot of the work and a lot of passive observers. So yes, everybody's getting the information, but nobody's responding. That's what I mean by observers.

KONSTANTIN KALAITZIDIS: Thank you.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: Again, a personal note. When I came to an ICANN meeting in my hometown and connected with the local folks and the NARALO group, I sat on the outside of the table because I was an observer at that point. I showed up for the next meeting and was invited to the table. So I turned out from being an observer to someone who had a microphone. I guess it depends on your personality whether you take over the microphone or not, but I had few comments, and that's how I become involved, if that's helpful.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Let's see. Do I see any hands raised? Go for it. Yes.

KARAITIANA TAIURU: Karaitiana Taiuru, APRALO. I've been with ICANN since 2006. I think most of the things I heard discussed today were certainly discussed at the first ATLAS, so yeah. Things have been quiet, but I do have some opinions.

From my experience, a lot of people were observers of working groups simply because they're a new ALS and they haven't been given any

---

information on what an ALS is or about the structure. I see this has been rectified now, but there's still a lot of ALSes who don't know what to talk about. They don't feel comfortable within the structure.

I think also that depends on the leadership. Some people are born leaders, and we do have some really good leaders within ICANN and within the RALOs, but I also think we have some other leaders who probably shouldn't be leaders. I'm not looking at anyone. I'm not pointing the finger at anyone. But I think to be at a chair meeting, it takes special skill set as well. With that special skill set, you can get more involvement and more participation.

I also think too it comes down to a lot of things that have already been discussed, like document management, content management, accessibility. There's language issues. There's a whole range of issues which are not new. They've been here since I've joined ICANN. Yes, that's my few cents worth. Cheers.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks, Dev. If I may ask Karaitiana as someone who has been in the Mexico summit in 2009, you've had five years to think about it, do you have any answers to any of these problems?

KARAITIANA TAIURU: Thanks for putting me on the spot.

---

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Five years!

KARAITIANA TAIURU: Sure. I think it's probably more of an organization needs to shift their mindset. I think we need to take an outside look and say, yup, we need to replace the system. We need to replace the document system. If the content's inaccessible, it's probably costing X amount of hours to find information when we could invest X amount of dollars to replace what's not working, perhaps.

I think too that we need to look at the major languages which are spoken in the region. In APRALO, the majority of people speak Chinese predominantly. Business language is English, which I think we could perhaps relook at that. Yeah, those are a few suggestions.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. Let's see. Just looking at the time, we have half an hour here, so I think I want to just try to see if we can press on with how do we best engage the observers because I'm not sure if we still have enough ideas. Mwendwa?

MWENDWA KIVUVA: Mwendwa Kivuva, AFRALO. I've actually been an observer before, but the reason is because I want to sign up and [inaudible] familiarize myself with the whole process, and maybe now in the next working group, I can contribute.

---

So most observers are newcomers. They just want to sit there and absorb the information.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. I'm just trying to think of something from first ATLAS because the first ATLAS summit was probably when I got involved. I'm just trying to think back as to how I just got involved. I guess it was because I picked a topic that was of interest to me, which was new gTLDs, and I was brought into a new room just like this, microphones and all that, for the first time, really.

Again, I think you're right. It is the chair's ability to really draw out persons and to make it feel comfortable to asking questions and so forth. I just felt very comfortable there. Here I am from a small island. People all over the world and I'm able to make an input. That input is discussed and so forth. So it's being considered.

So I think it's a very crucial part of it. For observers, there's no need to be hesitant. Ask the questions or make the comments or make your suggestions. It's going to be heard within the At-Large community or within that group or meeting.

Go ahead, Olivier.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Dev. Just brainstorming here, my brain is now back to normal as far as – which is obviously going off a tangent now. But you reminded me of the first time I attended an ICANN meeting. That was in the ICANN Paris meeting. I went up to the ALAC room and Cheryl was

---

chairing at the time. The topic was IPv6. I sat in the second row behind. I don't know whether any of you were there at the time, but Cheryl is quite a joyful character when she conducts meetings, and at some point, she went, "Okay well I'm really sick of listening to people around the table. Let's find out what people in the room have to say. Please introduce yourself." I ended up in with the microphone in my hand and went, "Uh...okay." That's the first time that I was asked to actually take part. It's also the first time I stood into the ALAC room. So that was, you know.

But this is something you can only do when you have a face-to-face meeting. This is not something you can do on conference calls because – and I do this as chairing things. You'll find a name that you don't now on the Adobe Connect. Two problems. The first one sometimes is just a set of initials or something, so you're just going to go, "ABC, can you speak now? Why are you here?" That's not exactly very friendly.

The other thing is the technical thing. I know many of you might have had this problem. You want to speak. You put your hand up and, "Okay, now you have the floor," and, okay, you speak. "We can't hear you. We can't hear you. There's a problem. You need to connect your microphone. You need to connect the Adobe Connect properly. Did you get a dialup?" and whatever. So that kind of is another barrier.

So that got me to think just now: would it be helpful to make a suggestion of having regional, ad hoc meetings of the new regional ALSes to meet maybe like once a year or something to meet face-to-face and have a purely newcomers type of thing to get newcomers to talk to each other? Just like a day or two days type of thing to meet

---

face-to-face. I see some yes and some going no. “More meetings, more travel. No.”

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Allen, I think you saw your hand. You were either shaking or either agreeing or disagreeing. Allen?

ALLEN SKUCE: I think it would be really good for the RALOs to have an annual get together, like even just a sort of two day or whatever to get face-to-face and work out some of the things that take so much longer by e-mail and a conference call and that sort of thing.

So yeah, I’m in favor of that sort of thing. I think that comes up to one of the things we’re looking at: where we can get fundings for that kind of project. Thanks.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Mona, go ahead.

MONA EL ACHKAR: Hello, everyone. I’m Mona El Achkar from Lebanon. I just wanted to say that I am in favor of this face-to-face or annual meeting – maybe not annual; I don’t know, but maybe every six months, because actually whatever you do to stay in touch and to follow up, it’s not like being in touch with real people. Thank you.

---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks. Well, one of the summary – oh, I’m sorry, Murray, I didn’t see your hand raised.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Write the list down.

MURRA MCKERHCHER: Sorry, I’ll be more aggressive. I keep speaking from personal experience because maybe it’s the best route, but Adobe Connect, which I initially thought was a great piece of software, has taken a long time for me to A) learn how to use, and B) use effectively. A lot of newcomers come in and there’s just a lot of technical issues with things like Adobe Connect.

In Canada, we have amazing Internet. I can imagine it’s more challenging in Africa or parts of LACRALO. It can be challenging to have these remote calls from the very get-go as a person. I don’t know. Perhaps training or – not etiquette, but appropriate training in how one could engage effectively with Adobe Connect. I frequently cut the chat out and paste it into a Word document because it keeps track of things. There are other Skype/add-on things that we’re using that I think might be easier or augment Adobe Connect.

I’m not sure why we don’t use ore Skype or whether there’s privacy issues or – I don’t know. I think there are other tools, again. But training in Adobe Connect would be great. Thanks.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Murray. I just want to just intervene quickly, just to say that the Technology Task Force, [inaudible] reviewed various web conferencing



---

solutions, and we have a table of all the web conferencing solutions. I think we've done about eight or so. In fact, the Technology Task Force has started using another conferencing system called Lucid because, well, when Fadi came in and shook things up with myICANN, and the people he brought along with him suggested using something called Lucid for web conferencing solutions.

Well, I think the problem is I think with any technology tool you use, there are some persons who will find it difficult to use, and for some, it's very hard. I think what's happening is that Adobe Connect itself is going to be upgraded in the future because there's obviously a shift from the technologies underpinning Adobe Connect. So the next major version of Adobe Connect is going to be more of web-based HTML 5. I don't want to get too much into the jargon, but that's one thing.

Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Dev. That absolutely makes sense. They've taken many years to finally make it work, and now we have to have a new one that won't. Great.

No, coming back to this, I absolutely understood the Technology Task Force has conducted tests from various parts of the world, and the tool might work extremely well in one region and then not in another, or it might work extremely well with one ISP and not with another ISP and so on.

Coming back to the face-to-face meetings – that's another thought – ICANN has now opened regional offices in each part of the world, so

---

when convening a RALO face-to-face meeting, even just a two-day RALO face-to-face meeting, which could even take place on a Saturday and Sunday if people don't want to take time off work, the ICANN offices can be open on the Saturday and Sunday.

If we're just looking at newcomers, for example, that might be a meeting of 10 people or 15 people and that could take place at an ICANN office. That could be a way to also make use of the regional offices and the new international engagement strategy that is there.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I think so, and the – oh, Yannis?

YANNIS LI: Actually, jumping back a bit about why observers may not feel comfortable to speak up, actually my personal feelings sometimes is sometimes because I guess some of the newcomer observers don't really know if they know the big picture or everything or the history about the policies and the working group and how this did develop.

So actually I think the capacity-building webinars this time is actually pretty good. If we could have some webinar about the policy that is currently on and then the whole thing – the whole history – or what has been talked about already, so maybe people are better informed and they don't feel down-looked because sometimes I feel, "Oh, if I ask this question, maybe somebody already asked it, or maybe it's just a stupid question." So I think not only about a face-to-face meeting but if we could do something more open like these webinars, that would be great as well, I think.

---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Thanks, Yannis. I think that this topic was brought up earlier, and I think it's already been noted by – be careful with that water there. All right, yeah sorry, go ahead. So indeed. I think that's been noted already by Konstantin and Fouad there in terms of the suggestion of having capacity building.

But going back to the regional meetings using the regional engagement centers that's being sprung up all over the world, yes, I think there's opportunity there I think to have – and as I said, it can happen on a weekend so it's not taking away from the business days of ALS representatives themselves. I think that's a unique opportunity. I think maybe we should have that as a recommendation to possibly be explored.

Go ahead, Konstantin.

KONSTANTIN KALAITZIDIS: This is Konstantin, NARALO. So on the onsite meetings for the regions for the RALOs, I totally agree. But on the comment I think Murray had made about Adobe Connect, maybe we can take a simple step, and I will note that in the notes as well.

For instance, one of my frustrations until I came up to speed on Adobe Connect is that they tell you, "Please mute your mics," and there is like 50 people, and I'm looking at this thing and there's nothing to mute. So it was a one-to-one teleconference where I basically didn't want to be kind of embarrassed. I said, "Terri, they always talk about this. How do you mute the mic?" She told me, "Well, we actually have to, until you

---

are given the right...’ Or whatever – you turn on the mike yourself or something like that?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: No, no.

KONSTANTIN KALAITZIDIS: Obviously all the mics seem to be muted. So my recommendation is to, at least for muting the mics or some simple steps like let’s just have some ground rules instead of saying a blanket statement, “Mute your mics,” because to the newcomer, there is no such thing, and then you feel stupid if you put in the chat, “How do you mute the mic?” – in Adobe Connect.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Well, actually there is a document on the wiki that the Technology Task Force did because we noticed these issues kept recurring on conference calls, so there’s a one-page – I don’t know if Susie could bring it up – one page on Adobe Connect. Go ahead.

SUSIE JOHNSON: Are you talking about this one?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: No, not that one.

---

OLIVIER CREPID-LEBLOND: Thanks, Dev. And of course, you've just had the answer I was going to give you. "Are you talking about this one?" "No." Where the heck is that document? Again, we've got the same problem. We don't have a single location to find all of this stuff. It's just scattered and we have to go back to a search engine that looks for it worldwide and finally brings it back home. This is like calling directory inquiries to find out where your glasses are in your house.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: The problem is the way the Adobe Connect is set up and how it loads documents was that the one-pager would be fitting inside the Adobe Connect room, so when you connect, you see the instructions and so forth.

So the problem is of course when you want to try to do animations and so forth because the only way to do this is to use Flash. But then that brings up a problem of accessibility because then those on the mobile phones who are using mobile apps will not see it.

But I suppose what we should be doing is having it in a session information: mute your mic and so forth. So if you search on the wiki "one pager" or "one page" about Adobe Connect, you'll find that page. And of course, you can come up with suggestions. That'd be great.

KONSTANTIN KALAITZIDIS: Even better maybe just have it in the chat session as you say, just have a list of things.

---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yeah.

KONSTANTIN KALAITZIDIS: “Please pay attention, and the moderator...” – for the big meetings, not every meeting. For the large meetings. “Please look at the chat session...” just some basic information, including the link for that one-page document.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yeah. Okay. Okay, so let’s see.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: 10-2.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: 10.2, yeah. Okay, so let’s see. I know one of the other questions is what is the process by which At-Large can access funds? The typical way for that to take place is that the RALO makes its request during the Finance and Budget Subcommittee. There’s a call for budget request. And then what happens then is – well, I see the page has now come up on the screen. So yeah, sorry, just to go back on the previous comment.

This is the one-pager about the Adobe Connect. If you scroll down, you could see how to mute your computer microphone. Are you listening? And also how do you access your microphone so you can speak? I did this animation there which walks you through it. So again, if you have any comments, feel free to send them.

---

Sorry. Going back to the issue regarding how does the At-Large request funds – and I think that’s what Thomas was trying to bring up earlier in terms of funding requests and so forth – typically the process by which this is done is that the ICANN Finance sends out a quote to various ACs and SOs, including the ALAC, as for, “Please send in your budget request.” There’s a form that you have to use – a prescribed form – by ICANN Finance, and then laying out what it is, the purpose, etc.

So what happens is that this gets sent to the ICANN Finance and Budget Subcommittee, which then looks at it and then passes those “Do you request that we approve?” and we pass that on to ICANN Finance, and then ICANN Finance responds when it releases its budget. I think I summarized the process, but Olivier, go ahead.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND:

Yeah, thanks, Dev. You absolutely described it correctly, but it’s additional budget requests. These are budget requests in addition to our usual budget of face-to-face meetings, etc. In addition to that, we’ve also got the Community Regional Outreach pilot program, which all of the RALOs have made use of so far. Maybe you can say a couple of words. These were before were actually put in the additional requests, and so Finance has noticed that we were always asking for the same sort of thing. “Send a person to this meeting,” or “Send a person to the IGF,” or whatever, so they transformed it into something else.

Dev, I know you’re the chair of that, so...

---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Yes, I am. So, yeah, the Community Regional Outreach Pilot Program allows for RALOs to have up to five travelers between now and June 2015 to attend the outreach event. So there's a process for within At-Large where the requests can be sent, reviewed by the At-Large CROPP Review Team, and then filed and once approved, put also the ICANN's VP of Stakeholder Engagement within that region where the outreach event is taking place. Once that approval has been obtained by the VP, then it's filed on the ICANN wiki.

There's a follow-up process whereby you have to do a trip assessment whereby you state whether your goals were achieved and so forth. So the idea is that for these outreach events is to try to get new organizations involved to become accredited At-Large Structures, and of course hopefully to be better participants in At-Large.

Looking at the time, about eight minutes. Next steps – okay, I see Olivier.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thank you very much, Dev. We've got a Finance and Budget Subcommittee in ICANN that has at least one person from each one of the Regional At-Large Organizations. That Finance and Budget Subcommittee deals with all of the finance side of our additional requests, etc., and the CROPP committee that we have – the Community Regional Outreach Pilot Program Subcommittee – has got one member from the Finance and Budget Subcommittee of ours, and one from our Outreach Subcommittee. Yes, lots of subcommittees, but it's to try to spread the load, although often it's the same people. But that's just to make sure that we can then satisfy both outreach and the



---

finance side. So people are coordinated with each other. It is a complex organization and we're involved with so many things.

The question there was you now know what the process is to get funds and asks for funds. There have been some questions asked in the past of saying, "Well, we are an At-Large Structure that wants to put together an ICANN event," or something to explain ICANN. "Is there a way we can get funded for this?"

The answer today is, well, if you don't think of this more than a year in advance and put this as a special budget request, which is quite unlikely to get passed by your RALO because it has to first be approved by your RALO, and of course another ALS will go, "Hang on. If you're getting money, why aren't we getting money for this?" that's the first hurdle.

The next hurdle will be then ICANN, who will say – and again, an example, the ICANN Studienkreis, which is a European thing taking place every year. EURALO has asked for ICANN Studienkreis to be able to have a couple of people sent there, and the answer was, "The ICANN Studienkreis is not an ICANN-related event." I don't know how much more you need to call it, but...

So these are things also which are difficult, and of course this additional budget request is a subproportion of the overall ICANN budget as well.

Are there any other suggestions that you might have as to what kind of activities, what kind of process there could be within At-Large to suggest such funding? If there are any. Maybe there are none.

---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Allen, go ahead.

ALLEN SKUCE: The thing that came to my mind was corporate sponsorships – the Googles and other types of corporations that would find an interest, and maybe gain something out of it as well for putting on whatever you meant that we would like to do.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. I'm just looking at the time here because I think we're supposed to assemble – well four minutes, and then literally there's to go to this lunch is about ten minutes past the hour. We can assemble and so forth.

So what's our next steps? There's a session in the afternoon. I'm trying to look at the time for that – 3:00 p.m. In that session, we're going to be looking at drafting our actual statement – our observations, our recommendations, and so forth. So we only have today to really do this because there's no really any other time the Thematic Group will meet, at least formally, so we really do need to have that in place.

Olivier, I see your hand raised.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Dev. Yeah, this afternoon has got an introduction for 10 minutes, then hot topic discussion for 30 minutes, then drafting of the recommendations for 45 minutes.

---

The question is, and that's really up to this group, what do you think the hot topic should be? If you think that we've already covered a lot of this stuff, do you want to spend more time on the drafting and helping our colleagues, Konstantin and Fouad, on the drafting, rather than rehashing some of the things we've been discussing? That's an open one. So, answers.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Michael, you had an opinion?

MICHAEL FORDE: I'd be thinking on my feet. No, I can't really come to a decision. Maybe we should [inaudible] this when we are fortified by lunch and do that the first five minutes, make that decision.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: And in fact, if I could say, this hot topic discussion was actually kept there as an open thing in case anyone here would have thought, "You know what? We haven't spoken about XYZ within the remit of this working group as well.

BOGDAN MANOLEA: 45 minutes for drafting the text could be very short, especially if we get into details on how to allocate it, so I would actually suggest to start at least with that, and if we have more time at the end, we can find the hot topic. But otherwise, I think it's important to start drafting.

---

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Okay. So – oh, I’m sorry. Konstantin? Sorry. I didn’t see you.

KONSTANTIN KALAITZIDIS: I was going to say I was just updating I guess – Fouad was just updating him, and so is it a question or do we vote or a consensus in terms of whether we focus on the – my vote is to basically help others to focus the drafted statement.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks. The voting word is forbidden, of course. There’s no vote here. It’s consensus.

KONSTANTIN KALAITZIDIS: Consensus. Yes.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: So what Dev can do, and of course he’s the chair, he can do a consensus call and see do we have consensus on scrapping hot topic and – I don’t want to say the words, but there you go, Dev.

KONSTANTIN KALAITZIDIS: Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I tell you what. If somebody wants to bring up a hot topic after we reenergize from lunch and “Hey, it’s something I thought over while I was eating my food,” yeah, we’ll bring it up. But if not, we’ll then take it

---

up if there's no real hot topics and we want to bring up, then we'll just dive straight into looking at the statement. Okay?

All right. I think this topic – oh, sorry, Murray. Very quick, though.

MURRAY MCKERCHER: Sorry, yeah very quickly. So perhaps it would be useful when we reconvene to go over all the things we've actually hit on really quickly because you've been taking those notes over the last couple of days and there should be a hot list or at least a list.

KONSTANTIN KALAITZIDIS: See, I think as an assistant reporter to Fouad, I outlined everything in red, but Fouad has to help me make sense of them. So maybe, Fouad, we can make a quick list of those things and then bring them up. But I think you've been drafting a statement in the meantime looking at the notes and stuff like that. So yeah, I think we should do that.

Then maybe hopefully not too many hot topics will come out of the list so we can at least come up – so my question is, the draft document – I guess we were looking at the one that came out of what was it?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: First one? The first ATLAS Summit?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible] Mexico.

---

KONSTANTIN KALAITZIDIS: Mexico. And it's rather long, I guess.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: [inaudible]

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: I'm not sure the length whereas once it's really useful information and to the point. If you sent 20 pages, it might not be accessible and might not even be read. But if it's clear and concise – Olivier, go ahead. I saw your hand raised before.

OLIIVER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks, Dev. Obviously we need quality and quantity. I don't think is something that – to the point points, and perhaps recommendation that a starting point, just a little bit of background of how we met and what are discussions were about, and then after that, just the different recommendations of course with the reason for the recommendations – the rationale behind them. We don't need to make a 50-page document. I hope you didn't look at the overall ATLAS I document because I thought the part dealing with this was not that big, was it?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: No, this is just, what, two pages or something?

OLIIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: At the moment.

---

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: No, no, no.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Oh, the other one.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: No, the last one was only a couple of pages or something.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: And you say the new one is shorter than that?

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: It was called the At-Large Engagement in ICANN Working Group 1 during the Mexico meeting, and it had five main things: participation in the GNSO, advancing participation under the internationalized domain names, IDN policy, it had participation of local communities, and it had participation in the ICANN meetings.

Then it had a second section, which was the global outreach. It had issues like transcription and translation and travel support. So back then, five years ago, it was a different situation. Now At-Large has already come a very long way. So the issues are very different and very relevant to the context of what is happening now. You have the IANA transition, ICANN's new role, R3 came out. I think R3 is a very important issue. We shouldn't miss out on that. We should be [inaudible] on there. Some of the work is already for us there in R3 as recommendations. So we just need to sort of refine a bit of the language.

---

In sort of the general sense, just real quickly, not to prevent you from going to lunch –

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Because there is a [inaudible]. We're now three minutes past the hour, so ten seconds.

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Just really quickly, we have a good amount of material with regards to the warranty of burnout thing with regards to the policy processes, the public interest thing, and the additional funding support for within the context of subject matter experts and so forth. So we're sort of there where we can draw up something really good.

So do we leave our things here?

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: Go ahead.

OLIVIER CREPIN-LEBLOND: Thanks very much, Dev. You guys can get working now and we're all going to go to lunch and be back afterwards.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: This is housekeeping related – oh, I'm sorry.



---

JOSHUA BAULCH:

I'll just be really brief. I'm Josh Baulch, ICANN staff on the technical staff. Susie posted a link in there. I apologize for joining up late for you guys. We have created a quick presentation – it's about a 13-minute video – on how participants can join up with Adobe Connect. I know there's been a lot of struggle in the community with connecting up audio and that type of stuff, and if you have problems with different types of web browsers, that stuff. We've gone through and tried to explain that and made it fairly simple for everybody. So that has that in there.

If you have any other questions or problems, feel free to e-mail me. Susie will have my information. I'm the one who's responsible for Adobe Connect for ICANN, so if you have any questions or anything, let me know. I'm happy to help with you. I just thought I'd let you know. Thank you.

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

Thanks, Josh. Hi, Josh. Thanks again because I know you've been not on the Technology Task Force calls, so yes, thanks again for that.

So is there an announcement to go with these...?

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE:

There's a map to the restaurant. [inaudible]

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH:

All right. So I think we'll now adjourn the call and we'll meet back at—

---

UNIDENTIFIED MALE: Just one last thing. Can we leave our things like this? Because we have to come back into work mode again.

UNIDENTIFIED FEMALE: [inaudible]

DEV ANAND TEELUCKSINGH: But let's formally close the call and thank everybody and – okay, hold on people. Let's finish this off. So yes, this call is now adjourned. Enjoy lunch and come back ready to draft that document.

[END OF TRANSCRIPTION]